Feast of the Seven Fishes 2014



Every year, I like to do something special during the holidays with Mr. M&P and I. We end up spending so much time hosting and seeing family and friends that there isn't much time to devote to ourselves. With that said, years ago, I decided to do a special Feast of the Seven Fishes for just us two. It's just a nice gesture to celebrate another year together. This year, I decided to do an Asian theme for the seven course.



First course, shrimp har gow or crystal dumplings. I chopped up some shrimp with pork fat and bamboo shoots. Then I made wrappers with wheat starch and tapioca starch making a translucent skin when cooked. I added a little bit of cilantro on top for extra flavor and color. These actually turned out to be pretty good but the wrappers were so difficult to work with. Even with my dumpling making skills, I could probably never make these again just because they were really difficult.



As for the taste, I really enjoyed the sweetness of the shrimp with the fattiness of the pork. The bamboo shoots added a nice textural contrast to the softer proteins. The wrapper became slightly chewy but soft.


Post a Comment for "Feast of the Seven Fishes 2014"